Thursday, September 11, 2008

But I was promised 300 days of sun!



Ok, so it's cliche to talk about the weather, but today the Front Range (for those of you who are just tuning in, that's the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains, where the Denver metro area, Boulder County, and most of Colorado's urban-ish population resides) is having a Willamette Valley day.

YES!!

Seriously, I had so much fun biking to school in the drizzle.

But then I looked at the weather report for Portland, and realized that they are having a Boulder day. And so it goes...

Anyway, I know the weather is boring and all, but I really don't have enough time right now to tell you about this awesome seminar I just attended with Jim White, geoscientist and paleo-climatologist at CU. He had some great insight into the role scientists have in terms of educating the public and why people haven't really caught on to the immediacy of the climate change issue. He presented his findings on abrupt climate changes (not quite like The Day After Tomorrow, but close) and how long- and short-term climate shifts act together. So...if I have time...someday...I've give you my full take on his presentation.

But for now, I'm off to tri team practice. It's a running day, and wouldn't you know it, we have perfect running weather! How appropriate that I brought my "training for the Portland Marathon" t-shirt, because I ran the Portland Marathon on, well, a day kind of like today.

No comments: