Thursday, August 02, 2007

Do What You Love

Another quick nod to Kaya for giving me that blogging book. Oh wait, she didn't give it to me. I checked it out of the library and it is how many days late? I'll toss that one into the pile of "things I will worry about when I get back to the US." (I can just feel my dad's skin crawling as he thinks Noooo! Stop procrastinating! Can't you renew it online?)

"Idea number 87: Do what you love.

...I asked myself, 'What do I do when I want to relax?' I like to poke around at online stores.

I decided to start a shopping blog called Mighty Goods, and people immediately responded. It's won awards from all kinds of magazines, the ads on the site do well, and I've even had offers to write about shopping for others."

--Margaret Mason, No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog

What do I do in my free time? Well, usually I just eat, but I have also been known to read, run, and step food outside on occasion. However, that is not what I'm getting at. For the past, oh, FIVE MONTHS or so I have been spending most of my free time, like Mason, poking around online. My haunts haven't been online stores (though I wish...would have probably made for a much more exciting five months), but job websites. That's right. I am addicted to monster, craigslist, idealist, and many others.

And yet...

I still have not secured a job for when I get back to the US!

Yes yes, I have identified the problem (or rather, others have identified it for me), and it is that I don't really have a focus. One day I want to be a science writer, the next a teacher, the next a geologist, the next a circus performer, and so I am having trouble just buckling down and finding opportunities.

BUT, I realized that I have been amassing a ton of information about various career paths, so I might as well share it with the world.

Or I'll probably just get lazy and watch episodes of The Office for the third time...

1 comment:

Katherine Adams said...

I started reading that quote from the book, but didn't realize it was a quote, and thought maybe you had been abducted by consumerist aliens or something. Thankfully, I kept reading.